Thank you for purchasing your official Cherry Blossom Festival Yoshino Cherry Tree! As discussed during your purchase, the Yoshino Cherry Tree survives in hardiness zones 5-8. If you have been keeping your tree’s roots cool and moist since purchasing, planting will be a breeze. Here are instructions for planting your new bare root tree. Enjoy!
1) Before planting, select a planting site in full sun or partial shade.
2) Remove seedling from packaging and soak in water for 3-6 hours.
3) Dig a hole wider than seems necessary so the roots can spread (approximately 3 feet).
4) Position the tree in the center of the hole.
5) Support the tree so that the root collar (the part of the tree just above the roots) is just above ground level.
6) Fill the remainder of the hole with the original soil just below the root collar (NO FERTILIZER).
7) Create a water basin around the tree.
8) Water your tree immediately after planting.
9) Surround your tree with mulch
* During the first couple growing seasons, your newly planted tree is expending a lot of energy trying to get its roots established in the soil. Especially during the first few summers of your new trees life, it will have a difficult time dealing with heat and drought. You can make this easier by providing water and covering the soil with wood-chip mulch.